It was last minute when Eric said he had me packed and that all I had to do was grab a few things and, knowing who I am, stop to grab a bite to eat on the way down. It's Eric, and I was thinking 1. I like being with him, 2. I've really wanted to get outdoors recently, 3. Word knows I could use some exercise. So I said yes - me being 'spontaneous' - I decided to come. Eric told me there was another girl. I didn't even think twice about it being something I couldn't handle.
The girl was a marine. The boy she was with was a marine. And then there is Eric and Derek (I know cute huh) who have done things their mothers would never want to hear - and hiking/climbing is definitely no big thang.
And then there's Kayla. Who feels lucky when she makes it to the top of the stairs.
These were big stairs. And not even really that big apparently. PLENTY of people came up the other side of boulders. I mean when you see Ms. Hefty in her tight spandex climbing over the hump, all of a sudden opting out is not possible.
So any way. Maybe to a little bit of sweet encouragement from you, I kept up no-big-deal. Only 4 miles up hill and random wanderings in the forest trying to find a boulder to jump off. It's normal. Waking up from a full nights rest of course. NOT - tumultuous winds about rolling me down the mountain? more like it. This is after we took about 1.5 extra hours trying to find our way in the dark. I never did pray about it. Maybe that would have made it faster. Or if we took Kayla's advice and asked the lodge people before it closed. Weird.
Chris: "Yeah I didn't think to stake down your tent" - dumtumblecrashsmash
Kayla: "Haha."
Kayla's thoughts: "That's what you get for free service."
So we made it to the top of Old Rag. I, Kayla Looper, rappeled off a mountain and 'climbed' back up. I may have whined and thought both impossible, but again, he was encouraging. I told him not to get his hopes up. This doesn't mean I'm Mrs. Outdoorsy. I'm definitely not marrying it.
In reality, it was the gnats that kept me going. Summer in the humidity is the best recipe for annoying face swarming bugs. I knew I would feel so good making it to the top and flying back down. The MRE raisins and chewy bars never tasted so good. As I get back down, you understand how crappy food tastes good under crappy conditions. I wanted Chipotle.
Eric: "I noticed you got a little happier on the way down"
Kayla: "I hate you."
Eric: "I love you."
(I was in the middle of flexing my awesome muscles)
It was a good trip and I owe the good pictures to Derek, who for the first time, was a boy who cared about taking good pictures. He actually brought his SLR and took some good shots of us, but I do not have them yet.
UPDATE WITH PICTURE SOON.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment